Monday, November 29, 2010

First draft of portfolio

Reflecting on ones self is very difficult. I have enjoyed this course so far because it has helped me improve tremendously on my writing while also incorporating history. I have always enjoyed learning types of history. Everyone in my group has played a role in helping me understand the time period, authors and literature because they have explained them differently, each piece being put together. I am proud of every piece I have written, however, I wish it was easier for me to express things and the way I feel through writing. As I said, this class has helped tremendously, but I still do not see myself as being where I would like to be in writing

Since taking this class I have realized that the most important part of this class to me is improving on my writing. I have really enjoyed the essays that we have written because I feel that they have been very reflective all together. I really enjoyed writing the letter to the immigrant, because it really makes me understand more what it was to be an American and reflect on what I feel it takes to be an American. I feel that John De Crevcoeur’s essay “What is an American” really helped me understand more what it really means to be an American.

The writings we did on weeks 6, 7 and 8 I feel were the most challenging for me. I have never really enjoyed watching or reading the news therefore writing about a social practice I feel was very difficult, I was not completely ready to write about something as complex as that. Although, I feel that in a way I was still very excited about writing about the issue that I chose because it really gave me a chance to learn about something new. Also, writing the workable solution for me I felt was very difficult.

I very much enjoyed writing about my virtues during week ten. I have never sat down and really thought about what “rules” to set for myself. Since doing this I have started to see a difference in the way I think and speak about others. I am also trying harder to be more appreciative of people and things that I see in everyday life. I have found that before setting this goal for myself I was very negative and not realizing it.

One issue I have found is that I need to not procrastinate as much as I do. I usually wait until about Wednesday before I start which means that I am always in a rush to do all the readings assigned and finish all the assignments. If I started earlier I feel like I would have more time to focus and think about what to write about more.

All in all I have really enjoyed this class and the writings and authors that have been introduce to us. I am glad that I have been challenged in a different way. I do not do well at math so this challenge it a good different. This class makes me want to do better with the writing assignments and makes me want to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment